Taps Bugler: Jari Villanueva

What's New?

“ Welcome to Tapsbugler! Helping provide Taps for Veterans at military funerals is important to us! Please contact us on information about providing a live bugler to sound Taps at the ceremony for your loved one. Just click on Find A Bugler below. Please explore the website and I hope you come away with a little more knowledge about this great American treasure we have in those 24 notes. ”

Celebrate 150 Years of Taps

M1892 Modern “Boy Scout” Bugle in G

These are the M1892 bugles on which all modern bugles are based. They are usually marked Regulation Bugle or with a manufacturer’s name. For many years these instruments were manufactured by King, C.G. Conn, Buescher, York, Holton, Ludwig, Millard, and Weymann. These horns are quite easy to find on internet auction sites and are still manufactured. A company called Buglecraft was making them for a long time and selling them under Rexcraft an Rex and US Regulation. Recently a company called Regulation Bugle started selling the M1892 pattern They can be found HERE I do not believe the instruments sold by this company are made in the US.

The bugles are in the key of G which is pitched lower than modern trumpets so it is easier to sound all the notes. The problem is that these horns are mostly of cheap construction and play rather poorly. The term US Regulation does not imply it was manufactured in the US. It simply means it is of the US regulation (the specification of 1892). Better quality ones were made during the 1930s or 40s by instrument companies like Conn, Wurlitzer, Holton or Ludwig.

Clairon in C or B Flat for Civil War Use

This is the most common type of bugle used in the Civil War. It is a big-belled instrument that is in the key of C but can be lowered to B flat with the use of a crook. There are good modern reproductions made by Amati and Andrew Naumann. There are also hundreds of French-made (Coueson) instruments that are period correct. The Amati andFrench-made models are in the key of B flat. They can be found on internet auction sites and at relic shows.

Good Civil War Reproductions are being sold by

Jan H. Berger
Bentingstraße 10
49477 Ibbenbüren
Fax 05451/896331
Email: j.h.berger@lederarsenal.com

M1894 Bugle in B Flat

This is the M1894 bugle in B flat, also referred to as a “Trench” bugle. These small WWI triple twist bugles can be found without much problem on internet auction sites and at antique or relics shows. They are identified by the writing on the bell which marks the manufacturer, specification number (Spec. 1152), and date of production. They have no tuning slides and the pitch is not consistent between horns.

British Duty Bugle in B Flat

This is a double twist bugle in B flat. They were introduced in England in 1855 but the model they are based on can be traced back to 1810. This is the model that all Civil War sutler (“Gunga Din”) bugles are based on . These horns were probably not used during the Civil War and there are no known pictures of a musician with one during that period.

“Gunga Din” Bugle in B Flat

This is the cheap Pakistan or Indian made instrument. Civil War sutlers sell them with a USA or CSA marking on them and also with crossed sabers and a “7” and “A.” There are no known photos of a Civil War bugler with one of these horns.

Go to a specific page of this post: 1 2

Tags: , , ,

40 Responses to “Bugles for Performing and Collecting-Bugles for Use at Funerals, Ceremonies, and Civil War Events”

1. Michael J Del Vecchio says:

I have been playing Taps at veterans funerals and events for years. How do I get on your list of buglers.
    I am a veteran of the Korean war. As a reference, you may contact Frank Dorritie.

Please advise.

2. Frank Dorritie says:

Regarding the “Jean Baptiste” bugle question: For the price, it’s a very serviceable horn, and I have recommended it over the more costly Amatis because the tone and pitch are superior, in my view.

That said, to make the Baptiste acceptable for the CW re-enacting, the water key should be removed (or at least hidden under a bugle chord), and technically, the “o” rings should be removed. Both these operations can probably be done at a local repair shop for a total of about $15.

When you consider that the instrument comes with a case and mouthpiece (Note: this has a proprietary sleeve. A standard trumpet mouthpiece is just a bit too wide for the receiver.), this is a good value.

I have suggested this horn to people who need a decent instrument but are reluctant to make a several hundred dollar investment.

3. Tapsbugler says:

We have emailed you, but you have not replied.

4. Denise says:

I recently acquired a bugle with the markings : Myers + Harrison, makers machesters 1850. Would you have any information or perhaps tell me where I could find some?

5. Forest Weston says:

What is your opinion of the Jean Baptiste clarion bugle in Bb sold by Sam Ash? Is it suitable for use at veteran’s funerals? What differences are there in it’s playability compared to a good double twist Bb?

6. Robert Davison says:

Is it appropriate to play Taps for a military funeral service which is conducted indoors?

7. John Arnold says:

Hello what can you tell me about the Pioneer Bugle (U.S. regulation)?
    It seems to be very old. looks allot like the Rexcraft bugle. has the slide and two rings maybe for the cord I believe. I am trying to research it a bit but thought you could help me. I know it could have been for the Boy scouts but thought maybe it could have been a military WW1 or WW2 era?

I’m trying to find out about the company Pioneer, I know there was the pioneer drum & bugle core but I don’t think that’s the connection on this bugle.

U.S. Army (retired)

8. I play on a very nice Berkeleywind British military bugle in F made by the Jin Bao Company in China. It has a very rich , dark sound.

9. We have acquired a US regulation bugle with Czechoslovakia on 2 lines. Its 17″ long. Its all brass. but it doesn’t actually show the US reg imprinted on it. it locks like other ones I’ve seen. any idea the age of it?

10. Kimberley says:

“Better quality ones [U.S. Regulation M1892] were made during the 1930s or 40s by instrument companies like Conn, Wurlitzer, Holton or Ludwig.”
    Is there some way to identify whether an otherwise-unmarked “US Regulation” bugle would be one of these? Did Conn etc put their own markings on their horns in some way? The horn I currently take to funerals (am in Bugles Across America) is supposedly about 70 years old, and it would be great if I could in some way confirm its age.
    Also, how do they compare, quality-wise, to the horns which were handed out to the soldiers and seamen of that era? I wonder if the sound of my horn is comparable to that which the older vets would remember … or not.

Search TapsBugler.com

Find This Website Useful?

Articles